Tuesday 2 December 2008

Śnieg, snow, la neige

I have officially encoutered a first day of snow in Edinburgh today. It really makes you think about Christmas.
My Mum will be staying with us for almost two weeks and I am planning to do some serious tourist sightseeing with her. Especially since I am seriously armed with a Wardlock & Co illustrated guide (reedited after almost 50 years) and absolutely brilliant invention which is The Edinburgh Literary Companion by Andrew Lownie. (I have been using a Paris version by Ian Littlewood when living for a while in the French capital. It was most revealing about the history of places and numerous famous people connected with them. It is hopefully still in safe hands of Kasia's bookshelves...).


I took a picture on North Bridge (the literary companion mentiones that Stevenson watched the departing trains from here and Ian Rankin's Set in Darkness misterious death scene is also set in this street).
They have put a brass plate in the pavement on the spot you are supposed to stand to take the best picture of the city panorama.
Most ingenious!






No comments: