Friday 12 December 2008

I will never be famous...

... I don't do anything, not one single thing. I used to bite my nails, but I don't even do that any more.
• Four be the things I'd have been better without: love, curiosity, freckles and doubt.
• A girl's best friend is her mutter.
• Take care of luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves.
• Salary is no object; I want only enough to keep body and soul apart.
• Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair.
• The two most beautiful words in the English language are 'cheque enclosed.'
• If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.
• The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
• This wasn't just plain terrible, this was fancy terrible. This was terrible with raisins in it
• It serves me right for keeping all my eggs in one bastard.
• I went to convent in New York and was fired finally for my insistence that the Immaculate Conception was spontaneous combustion
• Ducking for apples - change one letter and it's the story of my life.
• It's not the tragedies that kill us, it's the messes.
• I'd like to have money. And I'd like to be a good writer. These two can come together, and I hope they will, but if that's too adorable, I'd rather have money.
• Scratch a lover, and find a foe.
list of quotes by Dorothy Parker

My first ever bookcover commission was for Parker's shortstories. I just knew she lived in New York, was witty, intelligent, glamourous and talented. And that she commited suicide.That was it and then I came up with the image.
P.S. This post is dedicated to Nuala who reminded me about Parker's wit again. And that men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses. Do contact lenses count?


No comments: