Thursday 12 March 2009

Last breath of winter
















This was the weather last weekend - I was meeting a friend at Starbucks (yes, "at the Starbucks across from the Starbucks" as William Langley put it nicely) in Princes Street which wasnow closed for tramworks and did not want to be late. I reached the cafe with a spectacular view of the Castle just when the sun came out again, dried the melting snow and provided a beautifully springy rest of the day.

The girl behind the counter with whom I discussed the peculiarities of Scottish weather told me glumly that if I had decided to wait before coming until after the blizzard passed and had decided to be late for the meeting the snowstorm would have probably lasted the whole day.

My friend was late but not because of the weather but because she went into the wrong Starbucks - one a couple of doors away. I had some extra time to flick through my pile of Sunday newspapers.


No comments: