Thursday 8 January 2009

I love you and yes, you can have that in writing

I had to start my day earlier than my usual midday as our tutor took us for a morning walk around couple of Edinburgh galleries.
I really like the way David treats his students as he does not have that aloof way of being, is full of fatherly and genuinely caring about your work attitude and sense of humor.However at the same time one feels that it is necessary to work really hard as you would not like to dissapoint such a kind person. Still, when I have learned that such a photography course in US is approx 40 000$ I Iam thinking if I am indeed working hard enough...
The first show we saw was also one that appealed to me the most as I am not into minimal art (as it has this aloof feeling I was talking about earlier. It reminds me of that primary school experience, when a group of girls knows a secret you are not allowed to know so that they sit an whisper to each other while you desperately try to look completely untinterested, though your insides are simply screaming: what is it?!) were works of Simon Scott.
It was a combination of good images (shot with a leafback digital Hasselblad so imagine the quality) reasonably priced (400 pounds for a framed print of size B2) and executed from a collection of objects gathered by the author. Each object was signed, or rather carved into in most of the cases with a personal, witty, well thought of comment.
My favourites were: placed on 7 early 20th century modelgrinders entitled "The Daily Grind": "Chop chop busy busy work work bang bang" and repeat it please 3 times. "Love is indeed a many splendoured thing. But when it goes wrong it is death by a thousand cuts" on american food graters circa 1925. There was also a play on Osama Bin Laden's name "Oban.Ladies.Man" witha comment:"Now you see him, now you don't. Tends to take himself a little bit too seriously".
The whole thing reminded me strongly of dada experiments and especially of Marcel Duchamp who as David put it once, launched the whole modern art singlehandedly.
There will be no image with this post (I hate people taking pictures of my works hanging on display, though who knows - it might be just a good advertising. The author of works launched the biggest Edinburgh advertising agencies btw.) but have a look here.

P.S. Just so you know - Picasso's etchings from a Minotaure series are 20 000 pounds at the moment.

No comments: