Friday 16 January 2009

Edinburgh fashion - part 1

We might not be in Paris or Berlin but there are some people with a sense of style here too!
Since I am currently conducting research for my next series of illustrations of British fashion (to be published soon on my illustration blog) I am paying more attention to people in the streets instead of just walking bent down due to freezing high wind submerged in my own thoughts and a hood of my thick winter jacket (which is equipped with a padded but inevitably bulky lining).

I experience from time to time a shuffling Ugg boots brigade and dishevelled arty types with white bleached hair and weird piercings at the college premises but generally Edinburgh women tend to maintain a good level of fashion knowhow. Nothing fancy, we are in John Knox's country but a Mulberry bag, pari of patent heels/flats and a fresh complexion (thank you humidity!) will lift up almost any outfit.
However I cannot help but wonder, as another stylish lady from NY would put it, how the hell they are really managing in their light coats in the freezing wind and cold we experience in Scotland these days? Note the obligatory school uniform - no coat. More to come soon.

P.S. I will not deal with doggies' outfits here as it is a subject for a completely different set of illustrations.




No comments: