Monday 12 January 2009

Favourite drinks

Since I am not a very big coffee fan (I am sure some of you will roll their eyes at this statement but I really do like Starbuck's 'dishwater' as it is politely called in our family) and I cannot stand British beers (except cider, especially by Strongbow) I have to look for something else that would suit my tastebuds here. Just imagine that I have almost vomited after taking my first sip of a tea with milk! Nowadays after so many years of indoctrination I have at home on a daily basis I cannot imagine to have my tea black/naked.
So many years passed since my 'tea with milk incident'...
I was invited to meet my then-boyfriend's mother - an extremely elegant, sophisticated, would even say, posh lady. Let's say she was so elegant that she owned a poodle, antique furniture (which Louis it was? I cannot ever remember the difference in the shapes and appropriate number of Louises.) and smelled with Chanel No5 (which her son used once as a flamethrower when playing with his friends at Polish partisans vs Nazis and it was the only time he got smacked as such smelly luxuries were scarce in Poland of the 80s). I was happily chatting away (which I always do to mask my shyness) when her innocent question "Do you take milk?' slipped into my monologue. I nodded and carried away, only to half suffocate when I finally took a sip of my tea (served in the best bone china with a little finger subtely sticking out just little enough). What you are supposed to do in front of such an elegant lady who is gently perched on a side of the unknownlouis armchair with her cardigan and pearls observing you carefully. after all you are in the direct line of interest of her only son. I have almost spat it out but after a moment when tears came to my eyes and then gulped it down.
You came a looooong way baby. He is happily married with a kid now.

Simon loves kwas chlebowy - a drink made of fermented bread which we managed to trace in Edinburgh. Unfortunately, when we have found out which Polish shop in Leith might have it in their stock a surprised saleslady there told us that since nobody was interested in this drink for many months while they had it on their shelves, they got rid of the supplies.

My choice is gingerbeer.


No comments: