Tuesday 20 October 2009

How it was in Glasgow

My college students group and I went to Glasgow last week to have a look at some exhibitions and to do some visiting (I was after all what was Mackintosh). We went on a train with our favourite tutor, Colin and we had a really fantastic day. Even weather was great - it was quite warm and sunny even though the usual forecast for the West Coast is 'drizzle and cloudy'.

Glasgow is a really big, buzzing place, with a strong feel of the former glory of the British Empire, though you cannot really feel it travelling inside of its minuscule underground train system! Especially that I still have in my head memories from Paris or Stockholm, not to mention St Petersburg or Moscow...
There are however things that would make Martin Parr gasp:


We went to really nice photogallery Streetlevelworks and had an infamous 4 pounds lunch at a pub's upstairs in Drury Road. I decided to go for a rice pudding which was priced at astonishing price equalling to a price of a bus ticket! It was extremelly sweet, mushy and very tasty on a cold early afternoon:



As I was after Charles Rennie and we were in the area I went up a very steep hill (and I really do mean steep! I had a real problem with getting down as my Churchs soles are really slippy! Everybody else decided to stay for a coffee at an art center down the road instead so I could have my dose of Art Nouveau) to have a look at his famous Glasgow School of Art building. Ten years ago I was very disappointed that I was not allocated an Erasmus' exchange scholarship programme placement there. I had to go to Paris instead...

The building and the whole concept of such a purpose built premises is truly astonishing, especially that nowadays art colleges, and yes, I am talking about you ECA here! just buy modern buildings built rather for office workers not for creative people). However when one enters Mackintosh's building its size is truly not accustomed to the amout of art students in the modern days! I was admiring all the meticulously designed details of the railing wondering to what extent people studying there actually get excited about a possibility of spending their time inside of such a gem of designer's brain:



It is difficult to believe nowadays that this supertalented designer struggled for commissions and he recived very little support during his lifetime!


Then we took a metro to have a look at Kelvingrove art gallery. I must say it has not changed much since I last visited it 15 years ago! The elephant, giraffe and Salvador Dali were all still there:


As well as some other examples of creepy taxidermy:


So I was hoping to come back for another visit this week, while kids have their school holidays, so that we could all go and have some fun but Simon is having a serious cold at the moment so it will have to be postponed. See you later Glasgow, I have really enjoyed your company!

No comments: