Monday 31 January 2011

Smell this

I was looking for a perfume that would suit my mood in this gloomy, bittery cold, grey January. All the mass produced spritzes smelled flat and uninnovative. I needed something original, feminine, warm and very me. Nothing suited noses of mine nor Simon's (well, he has to live as well with me as with my perfume). Until one afternoon while passing by running some errands in the area, I decided to visit Penhaglion's shop in George Street.

I was not venturing there before delibetarely. It is a small boutique and I like to shop alone, not being confronted with a bored shop assistant who will be watching my every move while attempting a hard sell. But this afternoon I decided to go in and see for myself as I knew that my wallet was left safely at home (after all I nipped out only to send a 2nd class letter from the Post Office a block away.).

As I have expected a shop assistant immediately latched on to me but this time I was prepared (see the bit about the wallet not being there). And she started to chat in such a friendly way that I lowered my guard and continued our conversation instead of making a u-turn. I thought that oh well, it is an early afternoon, I may as well help this poor girl in killing some of her time at work and we soon were sitting down at the round Penhagilion's table and going from one family of scents to the other actually having a nice conversation.

I am not very good in describing what I smell so we adopted a method that I was to choose between two options - one that I liked was leading us further and further into the selection of smells. I was asked various questions like what is my favourite drink (well, I do not drink but one evening I got hooked on a mix of rum and ginger beer so I thought I would mention that) and what perfumes I like in real life (Earl Grey tea, sandalwood, wet dog and wet forrest). My fragrance profiling went on smoothly and I was guided with a firm hand until we reached two fragrances between which I was not able to decide. Well, in the end I did and in the height of cheekines I have also asked for two olfactory samples. I think this was what tilted the scales for this purchase - being actually able to live with the smell for several days before the purchase - so well done here Penhaglion's.

Their perfumes cost a bob or two and I was not prepared to depart with my monthly beauty allowance money to leave my wallet too soon. I have also wanted to make sure that Simon is not going to dismiss this fragrance as another 'toilet cleaner like' one like he did before (with all of Dior's ones btw). So ta-daaaa! Here I am smelling like a warm ginger beer mixed with Earl Grey tea and a drop of lemon juice! And I absolutely love it and I have not loved a smell on me for a long time.

In case you would be ready for some in depth fragrance profiling I do recommend this friendly girl with tons of knowledge who  directed my nose towards the Malabah - Zillah. Thank you so much for such a productive afternoon. I will be back for this second fragrance when I collect some more of my pennies.

No comments: