Tuesday 4 January 2011

Is it worth £1 a month?

I look at The Times almost everyday as it is in a selection of everyday newspapers at my local cafe where Simon has established his office and I pop in for my Bow Wow sarnie but nothing in this newspaper persuaded me to buy it more than once a week (their Sunday colour magazine suplements are another story and I do admit - I am addicted to them with serious syptomes of withdrawal if we are away from Uk on Sundays) so far. Until today.

I have spotted a Hugo Rifkind's Tuesday column.
I have read it and laughed more than once, and it was not a smirk, it was a plain roaring laughter. Honestly, this way of writing is so witty (controversial but brilliant - how otherwise one could enjoy writings of a man who describes The Queen as 'a dog-mad old lady in SW1'?). I wonder if he knows a fellow controversial Scotsman Daniel Kalder (who however decided to swap his hometurf of Fife, first for Russia and then for US). Rifkind decided to stay and with his razor sharp tongue in cheek writes about British reality.

I am debating following him on Twitter. And I am not even on Twitter!

More of his columns here:
http://www.spectator.co.uk/search/author/?searchString=Hugo%20Rifkind

P.S. Dear Adam, if you are reading this, he must be someone along your lines - and he even LOOKS like you! (no pun intended, it is a handsome chap, I am considering taking his portrait for my Scottish men series, in Loretto school location of course, they have a lovely garden there and I hope his memories are good - one gets to wear a nice red blazer if you are their pupil). P.S.2 How was NY?

No comments: