Wednesday 3 November 2010

Lecturing

Last week I had my lecture at The Scottish Centre for Photography aka Stills gallery but before that Simon and I we went to the annual lecture at the Scottish National Galleries. This year it was Simon Norfolk as a speaker. And what a speaker he was!

He was talking fast, had audience in stiches more than dozen of times. One could not slack for a moment because it would mean getting out of a loop of a networkcentric warfare, liminal states of the launched satellites and other toys for boys with Dr Strangelove prominently referenced. His lecture was absolutely brilliant, hillarious, intellingent and so charmingly presented that one even forgives the author some not very precise research on American government's military budget data.
It was wonderful to see someone so keen on his research (which I have not seem to get down with for my latest project, yet. As Gery Windogrand paraphased Capa in Mister Norfolk's quote: ' If your pictures are not good enough you are not reading enough.') and finding how the world actually works. However when you do a google search on Norfolk most websites describe him as a fine artist but stay silent about his political views which I found rather too radical for my taste. And as one friend put it rightly after the lecture - his photography seems to be very incidental in comparison with what he really cares about.

I have managed to sneak a picture of Simon Norfolk in action - in reality he looks nothing like his famous Afghan selfportrait which he coyly described as 'a gay astronaut' :
On our way to the Hawthorne Theatre I have turned around and spotted this fairytale like scene - very appropriate as Norfolk's lecture started with Claude Lorraine's radical landscapes - my little digital camera does not quite do it justice:


No comments: