Friday 22 October 2010

London part 3


^ A semi sharp selfportrait in a semi darkness.


I was on a lookout for various historical bits and pieces - this one ^ is tucked in just accross the river from Tate Modern.



This time we deliberately took an easy approach to visitng museums, though I hope one day to be able to come and just browse through a vast collection of artefacts at V&A (a History of the World in more than a Thousand Objects hihi). This picture I have managed to quickly snap while we went into the V&A in search of a cafe with sockets (Simon needed to plug in to finish off his presentation for the opening evening of his exhibition). The vast V&A cafe does not have sockets in the walls, so now you know - maybe they try to dicourage visitors from a virtual tour of the museum. They also use a discouraging beam of their torches which they apply to the interior of one's handbag at the entrance. I presume it must disarm a potential bomb carried in as I do not think that they were able to distinguish anything in the black hole of my ginormous handbag!

So instead we ended up across the road in Le Pain Cotidien - a Belgium chain that tempts one with delicious breakfast and fresh carrot juice and has an abundance of sockets for your hungry laptop too:


^ I did not buy that top in COS in the end - I do not know why when I look at that picture now. I bought that green one instead that lies crumpled in the left side of the image. I especially like my beaming nose in that picture!

^ My lovely Krakow friend Ewa who I have managed to meet briefly during her lunch break. I called her while walking down Regent Street and she happened to work nearby. It was so funny when she asked on the phone instead 'Where are you?' - ' Near which shop are you?'! Ah girls...

Obligatory meal in Wagamama. Since our friend Roger introduced us to this nonfuss restaurant (?) with Asian style meals (apparently you are not suppose to worry about your eating style - just place your bowl near your face and showel your rice into your hungry mouth Japanese style). This is Teriyaki Chicken Donburi - yes, I have jotted the name down it was so tasty (well, give me anything in teryiaki sauce anyday). I think I saw a Wagamama sign somewhere in central Glasgow? Another London friend Damian confirmed that Wagamama is one of the not so numerous places to eat in London which managed to keep up the same high standards since they opened.

Obligatory London shot ^^

To sum up - I think I like that trip much more than two previous ones. I got myself Peter Ackroyd's 'London, The Biography' and I am voraciously reading it chapter by chapter. I have especialy liked a little tour of the City at night that Simon took me on - I wanted to see where he worked. It was a feeling from a heavy nightmare (no pun intended) to walk among all these little deserted lanes tucked by the huge, semilit office blocks - and then you relise why it is so densely packed - each square inch actually belongs to someone and costs a fortune. We came back to our coffinlike hotel room at 2.30 am completely exhausted (we walked on foot from the City to Victoria stopping now an then to take a picture) but it was a beautiful adventure.

No comments: