Wednesday 26 August 2009

Andrew Bird in Edinburgh







There are many things that I admire about my friends (and I have known Adam for 10 years now!) but what I appreciate the most, is when they are able to show me something completely new, interesting, something that I have never known that it existed and what I immediately like.

This was the case of Andrew Bird's music. Thanks to Adam and Dea, we ventured just down the road to listen to a beautiful concert with access all areas pass. My spectrum of favourite kinds of music is wide (from Stravinsky to Faith No More) but somehow I managed to stop following what new was happening in music many years ago. So it was very refreshing to learn and like the art of one of Adam's friends.

I have especially liked the process of creating the music with loops, with a masterfull use of instrument (violin and beautifully designed electric guitar, not to mention a two-headed gramophone) - instruments that Andrew ruled not the other way arround like in case of me and the piano - and birdlike indeed, whistling. There is also in addition a deep, smooth voice (he must be invincible on the phone, especially with a female recipient on the other side of the wire) and a delicate, slightly shy posture and a very kind face.

From a short conversation we had in the musician's changing room when he was playing Dea's 200 years old violin, I learned that Andrew Bird is coming to play in Krakow in November. Definitely check him out! Unfortunatelly, I will be in Krakow in December.

No comments: