Wednesday 9 March 2011

Jeremy up North

I had a couple of extremely intense weeks packed with work and a Derby portfolio review but one of the highlights of that time was a visit of my friend Jeremy from London.

We met during our MFA course at ECA (Jeremy was working there on his animated film feature and my studio happened to be right next to his working space) and he very kindly posed for one of my first portraits in the Temporal | Portraits series. Since then I photographed him couple of times as he is simply excellent in front of camera, performing just the right amount that is needed for the image. Therefore I am not surprised that his latest venture inludes a big dose of performance as Jeremy came to Scotland to work on his first song and a music video! I had a sneak peak into the demo version of the recording and I absolutely loved it - it is a great mixture of good pop music, clever lyrics and good vocals. Jeremy seems to be a new incarnation of a modern David Bowie but his work definitely has his very own vibe. I hope he will get extremely successful as he really deserves the recognition with his personality and work.

So when he wanted to do some location scouting for his new video I was very keen to hop on a train and visit the Grangemouth rafinery area in Polmont, 20 minutes away from Edinburgh. We arrived there just as the twiligth was setting down, climbed a hill on completely empty golf course (extremely spooky location but an excellent view to the Grangemouth's panorama) to take some pictures. It was cold, dark and I felt like at any moment somebody will hold us at a gunpoint for tresspassing a private property so I worked very swiftly (which I hate) but hopefully to the great results. Here are some digital polaroids that I took before pressing a button on my medium format film camera.

For some more of Jeremy's work have a look at his youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/madeapus1
and his MySpace account:
http://www.myspace.com/jeremywarder







No comments: