Wednesday 19 May 2010

Glencoe

My professional life again took Simon and I to a far end of Scotland - we were comissioned by American clients to do a photoshoot in the Glencoe. We drove there a day before the photoshoot so that I would not have to stress to much on the day with my feeble driving skills. I was of course extremely stressed - driving on the left side in an unfamiliar, rented car, on a winding road in the mountains where other people drive fast - 70 mph at least even though the sign asks them to slow down to 40 mph. I got some tooting when being taken over on a double line by a 4x4 black Rangerover but I did not care - my task was to get us to our destination (Ballachullish village on the edge of Glencoe) not to kill us. I think my dad must have been watching my driving with my guarding angel from above because I've made it! Now I would like to continue with my Scottish driving lessons, however this time without an immediate deadline.

Some images from a blissfull evening in Glencoe, without midges. Taken on my mobile:


We were staying in a little cheap bed & breakfast owned by a charming landlady (Aurelia calls this type Mamma Africa so here we definitely had Mamma Alba) and equally charming decor. Images of the interior will definitely appear in Simon's hotel series! Every morning we were greeted with a full on fried breakfast and the freash air was getting us every day without fail - we were invariably in bed by 9.30 pm! (Our usual bedtime is more like 3 am...).
Gleoncoe is one of the most beautiful places in Scotland. It has a sinister side to it as well. 70 members of the MacDonald clan were brutally murdered by their own guests on 13th of February 1692.



No comments: